A Great Idea for Genealogy Societies

On Tuesday night I spoke at the Southington (CT) Genealogical Society.  I finished setting up early and found myself with some extra time to chat and check out their offerings.  One of the things I came across was a notebook of previous talks.  This book was made out of a 3-ring binder and filled with sheet protectors.  The society makes a uniform promotional flyer for each talk which is perfect for a divider sheet between the various information.  Behind each flyer is the handout from the speaker and any other tidbits they may have provided such as articles or a promotional tri-fold.  If a society member sees something they like, there is a sign up form.  At the next meeting they receive their copies.

I think this binder, the first of its kind I've ever seen at a society meeting, is wonderful for so many reasons.  It serves as a constant reminder for all the great programs the society has and acts as an organizational tool as well.  Not only that but it shows new and prospective members just what kind of quality programing they can expect.  From a speakers point of view, it's nice to be remembered past the few hours spent together on one evening.  And last of all it provides an archival record of what the society has done.

I was so impressed by it.  I hope other societies will considering making one as well.

Comments

  1. That is a GREAT idea! I'm sure that many other chapter/societies will now embrace that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm passing it on to the NH Mayflower Society. It would also be a great place to store the speaker's business card and contact information. I know we often get asked how to contact speakers when folks want to have them at their historical societies, DAR, Colonial Dames, etc. meetings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great idea! I'm passing it along to my AFHS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marian, Thanks again for speaking. It was a great evening and thanks for mentioning our Past Presentation Book. So glad that you liked the book as it wasn't exactly what we started out to do, but the end result is what counts. Right!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment