Community Reference Links - the Wave of the Future

This morning I received a post from The Ancestry Insider titled "Killer Cool! Wow!!!"  With a title like that I knew there had to be something good inside and I wasn't disapointed.

Even before reading the post I saw a graphic that displayed Footnote.com, FindaGrave.com and Family Photoloom icons all together on one page.  "Interesting!"  I thought to myself, "I wonder what this is all about."

It's all about Community Reference Links

The Ancestry Insider explains that "Community Reference Links is an emerging technology that enables you and the rest of the genealogy community to hook together everything about your ancestor that is on the web. This includes artifacts, photographs, and stories that pertain to an ancestor."

Granted, I don't know much about this because I am seeing it here for the first time.  It seems that the new FamilySearch Tree will have the capability to gather the information about your Ancestors from various places on the internet and provide links to them from within new FamilySearch Tree. 

I wonder how accurate the use of the word "everything" is above.  It seems to me that there are always some spoilers who will prevent their pages from being pulled in by other applications.


Community Reference Links will exponentially allow genealogists to share information with greater ease.  I love the concept.  Kudos to FamilySearch for implementing it.  It will only be a matter of time before everybody does it.

Comments