The Inheritance Dream and the Genealogy Fairy

Ever since I was a teenager I've had a secret wish that some relative that I never knew died and left me a ton of money.  It's not nice to wish people would die so that's why it always had to be an old, secret relative that I never knew about.  It's sort of like the lottery dream but only a little more desperate and unlikely.

Now that I'm a genealogist I'm afraid it's even more unlikely that this will happen.  I mean, I'm pretty sure I'm aware of all my distantly connected living relatives.  And the ones I do know about either aren't rich or aren't going to leave me any money.

Now I have a new dream.  I dream about the Genealogy Fairy.  This Genealogy Fairy magically provides me with the whole tuition cost to take the Boston University Genealogy Certificate Program.  The Genealogy Fairy could also potentially provide me with the tuition money for the Rhode Island School of Design certificate program in Historic Preservation. And somehow the Genealogy Fairy would also make it ok with my husband that I spend so much time away from home and working on my studies.

If any of you have any inside connections with the Genealogy Fairy, will you please put in a good word for me? Thanks!

Comments

  1. Marian - If the Genealogy Fairy does stop by your house, send her my way after she grants your wishes. I too have considered the BU program. I would love to do it, but the cost is prohibitive, at least at this point in my life. I already have an MLS and an almost 20 year career working in libraries. I've only gotten into genealogy over the last few years, but I believe my research skills are solid and my level of interest is high enough to guide me through the self-education process. My only real issue is a lack of time.

    You have wonderful skills and a successful business. I heard you speak at the WPL conference last year, and I was truly impressed. Not to discount the value of the BU program, but I bet a lot of the folks in that program envy you YOUR skills. While academic kudos are nice, they aren't everything. We all do the best we can given our place in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marian,
    The genealogy fairy didn't provide me with the whole tuition but I did sorta win the lottery. The Boston University Genealogy Certificate Program had a contest last year at the NGS conference in Salt Lake City. I won a scholarship and am taking the course now. So get thee to a meeting and check out the exhibit hall. Off to do homework...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the Genealogy Fairy comes your way, send her over here when she's done with you. I will do the same for you! LOL. Would love to take the BU course!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment