Are You Sure You're Ready? Take Uncle Bob's Advice

When I was in my twenties and had just returned from a Bohemian adventure of living in Europe, I came to the realization that I would need to settle down and get a job.  Sometimes getting started is the hardest part.  My Uncle Bob had this advice for me, "Get the Sunday classifieds and look for jobs that appeal to you.  Next, read what the requirements are to get those jobs.  Then spend your time getting the experience to make yourself qualified to get that job."

My Uncle Bob has always had great advice that has helped me through the years.  He also has a very positive, proactive view of life.  Instead of telling me to focus on getting a job, any job, he encouraged me to keep an eye on the prize.  That advice has served me well and since then I've always looked at ways to continue gaining the experience needed to take me to the next level.

The ProGen Study Group is kind of like those jobs in the want ads.   It comes with a list of prerequisites that need to be completed before you can participate.  Now is the time for you to discover what those prerequisites are so you can start completing them.

Instead of going to the ProGen website and saying, "I don't qualify for this", go to the website and say, "I'm going to create a road map for myself so I can be the best prepared for when I am ready to commit to 18 months of reading, study and assignments."

If you go to the application page of the website you will find a two-part checklist.  If you answer "yes" to all the questions in the first section they ask you continue filling out the second part of the checklist. (Note: you don't have to complete all the items in the second checklist to participate)  These checklists are your guide.  Print them out and determine where your strengths and weaknesses lie.  Then create a road map for how you can gain experience in some of your weaker areas.

By doing this, not only will your genealogical skills improve and your experience be strengthened, but you will have a schedule that will allow you to stay in control of when you want to begin the course.

Don't bemoan the fact that you might not be ready right now. Listen to my Uncle Bob. Plan your future and make it happen!


Photo Credit: Photo by Dominque Godbout used under the creative commons license.

Comments

  1. Thanks I needed that. I am at a point in ProGen I was wondering how I got there. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marian, thanks for the suggestion on following the checklist. I didn't know there was one! I'm looking forward to starting this once I get out of school. I know there is a wait list though and I heard recently they aren't accepting people to the waitlist. So how long are people generally waiting to get into the class do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that they have beefed up the application process, which I believe is a good thing. I began in a group almost two years ago after completing the BU course and found myself overwhelmed by it even though by the description then I thought I was ready.

    Just checked out the new checklist and it does a much better job explaining the experience needed before beginning.

    Thank you for sharing the link and good luck with your new endeavor. You go girl!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment