Headless Horsemen and Spooky Tales, Oh My!

Author and storyteller Jonathan Kruk
photo by Todd Atteberry
Last October I revealed to you my secret indulgence in ghost stories. When the foliage turns to bright autumn hues and a little chill snaps in the air then I know it's time to start reading the scary tales again.

I have another passion just as strong as ghost stories. Funny enough I never really discuss this with anyone.  My other passions is for folktales. I have been reading folktales every since I was a child. I have been captivated by local tales, regional ones and even those from across the world.

One of the best things about my new radio show, Fieldstone Common, is that I get to explore my personal interests to my heart's desire.

Today on the show I am even more excited because I will be talking with Jonathan Kruk, author of Legends and Lore of Sleepy Hollow and the Hudson Valley. In this episode I will get to enjoy my love of New York and Northeastern history as well as folktales. While folktales aren't necessarily true stories they evoke the nostalgia of by-gone eras and help us to step into the past more easily.

Jonathan will be talking about one of the most well-known and beloved American tales - The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving.  He'll also be telling us about lesser known tales from the same region. If we're lucky he may even tell a tale while on the air!

So start celebrating fall and join me today at 1:00pm EST to hear about Ichabod Crane, the headless horseman, imps at Tappan Zee, the ghost of Major Andre and much, much more.  The show is broadcast live over the internet.  For those who can't listen live, it will be available afterward as a podcast.

Oh, and you may even win one of the two signed copies of Jonathan's book that I'll be giving on the show.  Hope to see you there!

Fieldstone Common with Jonathan Kruk
1:00pm EST
Thursday, October 11, 2012

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/fieldstonecommon/2012/10/11/the-legends-and-lore-of-sleepy-hollow-with-jonathan-kruk

Comments

  1. I missed this because I'm at work, but I can't wait to listen to the podcast; I've always loved Hudson Valley folklore!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment