Action Lists - The Other Side of the Planning Process

I guess I still have research plans and task lists on my mind.  I want to discuss one other aspect that I haven't mentioned yet.

I have some lists that I call "Action Lists" for lack of any better name. (If you can think of a better suited name please share!) For me, Action Lists are ongoing, cumulative lists that resemble wish lists.  They are divided by repository (archive, library, etc). I maintain one file per location. Not all the research I do is pressing and sometimes the locations are far enough away that I put off the research until I have enough to warrant a trip. 

I create Action Lists for places like the Norfolk County, Massachusetts Probate Court, the Norfolk County, Massachusetts Registry of Deeds and the New England Historic Genealogical Society.  The difference between these Action Lists and Research Plan Task Lists is that they contain items from multiple projects.

My Action Lists typically contain several columns.  The information listed includes such items as name, date, town, file number and project. It helps me to find the information I am looking for and identifies the use or recipient of the information.

Here's a portion of one I created and used this spring (click to enlarge):



As I work my way through pulling the files and scanning or photocopying the information, I check off the item on the list as completed. No there's no specific column for that. I just put a big check mark on the side.

Some of these are rainy day lists.  When I have a change in schedule and I need to shift gears quickly, I don't need to think about what I should do. I simply determine where I want to go research and then I print off my in-progress list for that location and get the research done.

Of course, this only works with only non-time sensitive information. However, if I need to rush into Boston for a project, I can toss in the rest of my accumulated list as well.  That way I make even more efficient use of my time.

This, clearly, is very streamlined. It's not a plan. It's an action list of items that need to get completed and it allows me to keep track of multiple projects.  I know it is a simple list but that's my style. I like to keep things as simple and as clear as possible.

I imagine that all professionals have some sort of list like this when they leave the office to do research in the field.   Non-professionals could also use a list like this, particularly if you are researching multiple family lines. Instead of listing a project your could list various surnames.

Lately, I been revealing a lot about how I work! I hope it is helpful or at least gives you some ideas that can be adapted to your own research. If you have any suggestions for how I can improve my system please let me know.




Comments

  1. When you return from a research outing where you have used one of these lists that contain multiple projects, do you end up writing multiple reports? I realize you would need to write multiple reports for different clients. how about multiple zreports to yourself, if you have several projects going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle,

      I posted an answer to your question here - Roots & Rambles: http://rootsandrambles.blogspot.com/2012/08/taming-all-that-information-part-2.html

      Delete
  2. I think Action List is a good name. The name is already propelling you into your future by suggesting taking action to your brain. Say, opposed to a To-Do List which can feel like a never-ending ever-increasing burden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your thinking! :)

      For me it's all about taking advantage of unexpected time. Sometimes when a day becomes clear (an appointment was cancelled, etc) my brain goes into a freeze when I think "What should I do today?" With these action lists I never have to worry because I have research saved up that I can dive into.

      Delete
    2. My 'used to be to-do lists' are separated into main categories with a list of 'action items' under each on a mind map, screenshot of which is on my desktop. (I wrote a post about this.)

      I think of it like this basically: Action Items for Today, Actions Items in the shorter term (up to 3 months away) and Someday's for further out. Everything to do as it comes to my mind belongs in one of the three.

      Focusing on today is good. If there's extra time I can pick something off the waiting list below. Sounds similar to what you're doing.

      Delete
  3. Action list is a good name. I use something like this in a Word doc but your table/Excel worksheet is cleaner and would be easier in some cases to organize the research. I'll have to try that approach because work has become extremely busy and I probably need a new way to organize things. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen,

      Mine is actually a Word document with a simple table. I'm not an excel person except for the most simplest of tasks! :)

      Marian

      Delete
  4. Love these blog posts about how you do your work!!! I do something similar, but not as organized. I like the spreadsheet idea so i could prioritize when needed. It is comforting to see that i am on the right track with my process. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these blog posts about how you do your work!!! I do something similar, but not as organized. I like the spreadsheet idea so i could prioritize when needed. It is comforting to see that i am on the right track with my process. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems like the To-Do lists in Legacy could be used for this. I believe they can be sorted by Repository and probably the ones in a certain location tagged and then printed. Of course, the trick would be to actually use the To-Do lists as you go along, which I haven't been. I am still pretty much at what you call the fact-finding stage, and need to be more disciplined in documenting what I am finding.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment